Sunday, February 14, 2016

Week 6 Reading Reflection

1) What was the biggest surprise for you in the reading? In other words, what did you read that stood out the most as different from your expectations? 
Answer: When I came upon the part of the reading talking about analyzing the current physical condition of a business to figure out why it is being sold actually really surprised me. When I first read this title I thought that this was just going to be about the actual physical structure of a building and I was surprised when it wasn't. I learned that new owners should know that permanent additions to property stay with the property so you could always use this to your advantage.
2) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
Answer: There was a part in the "Why is my business getting sold" section it talks about the legal restraint of trade or the "non-compete agreement." This part sort of confused me because it seems kind of crazy to me that people would actually sell their business and then take a 5 year break just to "not take their customers." I think the customers should have their own choices of what they want to buy regardless of who's business it is.
3) If you were able to ask two questions to the author, what would you ask? Why?
Answer: I would ask him if he has ever bought an already running/successful business. I would ask him this because it seems like there are tons of advantages to doing this so I wonder if he would take his own advice on this! The second question I would ask would be since there are both many advantages and disadvantages to franchising a company, would the author think that it would be more profitable to franchise or to rather put that money into a better use? I would ask him this because I'd like to have some input from someone who has probably done this before and that will help me with my future career
4) Was there anything you think the author was wrong about? Where do you disagree with what she or he said? How?
Answer: As I was reading this chapter I came to the part where it talks about "Why is the business being sold?" In my honest opinion I was confused at how much the author rambled on about a hypothetical business. He could've just said," look into it and make sure it's nothing sketchy. Instead he rambles on massively by going on about the physical condition of it, the condition of the inventory, the state of the countries assets and so on. He could've probably found 200 other things to write about in this section so I just feel like it was pointless rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment