Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week 2 Reading Reflection

1. The biggest surprise that I had after reading the assignment was actually that the word "entrepreneur" is actually derived from the French, entreprendre, meaning to "undertake!" Then the next line says "The entrepreneur is one who undertakes to organize, manage, and assume the risks of a business." This was really surprising to me because I've heard the word entrepreneur so many times, yet I haven"t known the real definition of the word! And to make it even more surprising it was a French definition that matches the word perfectly!

2. The part of the reading about all the "Schools of Thought" was pretty confusing for me. At first I was mind blown that I was reading about "Schools of Thought" it's a pretty crazy subject relating back to how you think of things. There were so many different types of "Schools" ranging from Environmental School of Though to Strategic Formulation School of Thought. To make matters more confusing for me, when I got to the Strategic Formulation School of Though part, they added an extra part to it talking about unique markets, people products and resources. This part confused me a lot and I had to read over it about 4 times to sort of understand it. It was a lot of material that just confused me!

3. If I had to ask the author two questions they would be:

1. "What are you doing now?" I would ask this because if this man was able to write an entire textbook about entrepreneurship and all the different types and aspects of it, he must be a really good entrepreneur himself! So I was wondering what businesses he has created and how successful those businesses are!
2. I would ask him "How did he come up with the "schools of thought" ideas?" (That is if he actually did come up with them) They are extremely interesting concepts and someone had to put in a lot of hard thought into every "school" so I wonder if there was a certain process of how he made them up? Or if they have been around for awhile and he is just re teaching them to us?

4. I honestly didn't find anything I thought the author was wrong about. Since this is a textbook, and I'm sure this guy is a highly esteemed individual, I took it as a learning tool to learn everything he said. So I never really questioned his opinions or statements. As I was reading I never had a "OH, I don't think he is right about this statement" moment. I found all the material extremely interesting and I can't wait to read more in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment