Sunday, April 10, 2016

Celebrating Failure

1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time. 
Answer: This semester I decided to take a course called principles of management. I didn't really know what to expect from it so I didn't take the class as seriously as I should've. I thought that since it was only basic management material that it wouldn't be that hard and that I didn't have to study as hard for this as my other classes. I ended up not doing well on the first exam and to me that is considered failing. On the second exam I studied more but I got an extremely bad stomach virus the day of the exam and I couldn't think at all and it made it extremely hard to retain information. I ended up not really doing well on the second exam as well.

2) Tell us what you learned from it.  
Answer: I learned that sometimes there's nothing you can do, all that matters is that you are trying your best. I also realized that I have to put all of my effort to get the best possible grade on the final. I've already began studying and it is at the end of this month. I'm going to make sure to study way more than I need to to make sure that I get a good grade.

3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were four months ago? 
Answer: Honestly throughout my life I've experienced a lot of failure but I've always learned as much as I can through it. It just made me into a better person if I stay humble with myself and see what I need to get better at. So being honest with yourself and realizing that you have to study 4x as much as you did for the first exam will in turn help me with my final exam. Usually I try and handle failure as positively as possible. I think that being in a happy positive state of mind is better for you. Plus it keeps your hopes up for doing well on the final exam. This class definitely showed me first hand that if you learn from your mistakes you will clearly grow as a person and maybe make an even more successful entrepreneurial business

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jason! I'm also in management and that class is not as easy and I thought it was going to be. The exams are pretty rigorous! I'm sorry you got sick during the second exam but I applaud you for not giving up and being determined to get a good grade on the final. If you put in 100% effort you can't go wrong. Staying humble and determined is such a good thing to stick to, great job. If you want to check out my post about failure you can at this link:
    http://rmathisonent3003.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes our best is all we can give, and that is all that matters as far as anyone else’s standards can go. Good job on being mature about what needs to get done to ace your final exam and taking the steps to prepare for it. Sometimes it takes a good wake up call for us realize what we have been doing is wrong, and the sooner that happens, the sooner we can prepare for the challenge the next time we encounter it. Good luck on your test! You can check out my “Celebrating Failure” blog post at http://ufentclassblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that failure leads to success and sometimes we aren't ALWAYS able to learn from our mistakes. It takes a lot sometimes to really prosper and that is exactly how I felt when I wrote my post, letting people down is never easy. Please take a second and check out my post! http://ufentlaurenday.blogspot.com/2016/04/my-exit-strategy.html

    ReplyDelete