Sunday, March 27, 2016

Week 11 Reading Reflection

1) What was the biggest surprise for you in the reading? In other words, what did you read that stood out the most as different from your expectations? 
Answer: I think the strategic management process that was shown at the end of the chapter that explains everything about the process was the biggest surprise in the reading. It talked about how strategic inputs go to the external environment and that can either go into strategic intent or the strategic mission. From there It goes on to more in depth detailed responses about strategy formulation and strategy implementation.  This was a big surprise for me because I didn't think that there was this much info on just formulating a strategy. I also loved how at the end it says feedback. It's always a necessity to get the most out of feedback.
2) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
Answer: There was a part close to the end of this chapter that was a little confusing to me. It showed multiple tables going from year 1 to year 5 and as I read on it kept getting more confusing. I couldn't really tell what the table was trying to get done. There were so many variables that I didn't even know. Everything from "retention ratio" all the way to "option pool" I was just extremely confused at what point the author was trying to make with this table.
3) If you were able to ask two questions to the author, what would you ask? Why?
Answer: In the part about "the lack of strategic planning" I would ask Donald "Have you ever had a lack of strategic planning? and I would also ask him how he over came that lack of planning. I would also ask him what he believes is the best type of SWOT analysis and I would ask him if he ever used SWOT analysis to analyze what he was doing with his company.
4) Was there anything you think the author was wrong about? Where do you disagree with what she or he said? How?
Answer: Each week I read the assigned readings in this textbook yet I've found it extremely hard to find something that I thought the author was wrong about. I think for next year/semester you should change this 4th question to something more intellectual than just trying to find something that I disagreed with. If I was reading a biology textbook I wouldn't be reading it and disagreeing with anything since it is a published textbook. This is also the first time I've ever said this just so you don't think I'm trying to get out of answering this question. I just find it extremely difficult to find something that is said in a textbook to be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment